Students Area

All You Need to Study in the UK

How to find a local doctor for you!

Your new journey is almost starting! You are probably super excited about the classes, the new colleagues, the fantastic places you will know, and that is great!

The UK will be your new home for the next few years, and that means that you will need to have all the conditions to be happy, comfortable, healthy, right?

One of the most important things to do, for your wellbeing, is registering with a local GP (General Practitioner). This is essential.

A GP is a medical doctor that deals with all common medical conditions and that direct you to all the specialised medical appointments that you may need.

The first step will be contacting the surgery nearest to your home address and tell them that you want to be registered there and also make your first appointment with a GP.

Essential health treatment in the UK National Health Service (NHS) is free of charge, so you will not pay for your appointment with the doctor.

As a student, to make your registration, you will need to take evidence that you are studying and living in the UK. You will need to take a letter from the university and a proof of address. 

Also, all universities in the UK have a Health Service Department, where you will have all the information and help with this subject. They can direct you to the best GP and help you with the documents that you need to present. 

Remember, your health is the most important thing in the world!

Note: We always advise our students to make the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This is a card that allows you, as an EU national, to have access to free treatment in all EU countries. This card is made in your own country, for free. 

Get your Student Adviser for free or talk with us through our live chat.

Last updated on Monday, 19 April 2021 | Viewed 1314 times

Our site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience.