Students Area

All You Need to Study in the UK

National Insurance Number and Bank Account

September is coming, and probably you are already thinking about some practical things that you need to know about starting your new life in the UK. 

We know this can be stressful but don’t worry, we are here to give you all the essential information you need to know about how to get your Insurance Number and Bank Account.

The first step will be making an appointment to get your National Insurance Number (NINO) after you arrive in the UK. This is mandatory if you want to live and work in the UK.

This important number make sure that the government records your National Insurance contributions and taxes while you work and of course, it’s your reference number for the social security system. 

To apply for a NINO, you should telephone the National Insurance number application line: 

Telephone: 0800 141 2075 

Textphone: 0800 141 2438

Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 6 pm

After this, you will get a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) asking you to go to a National Insurance number interview to a Jobcentre near to your postcode area.

The time between the call and the personal interview can take some days or weeks so, as fast as you apply, better! 

In this appointment, they will ask you some basic questions about you and about your motives to come to the UK. 

You will also have to take some documents to this interview, that will be referred to in your letter. They can be:

- passport or identity card

- proof of address

- university offer letter

- residence permit (if you are a non-EU student)

One of the most important things to do when you move to another country is opening a Bank Account; this will able you to receive your part-time salary and international transferences from your country. 

Also, if you are doing a Master, you will use this account to be the destination of your Student Finance money. 

To open an account, you always need some essential documents like:

• Your ID document - passport or driver's licence

• Proof of address: like a bill receipt or a bank statement

• Student status proof: can be you're a letter given by the university or your UCAS offer letter


So, with this information, we hope you can take a deep breath and feel confident about starting your new life in the UK!

Get your Student Adviser for free or talk with us through our live chat.

Last updated on Sunday, 18 April 2021 | Viewed 1407 times

Our site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience.