Students Area

All You Need to Study in the UK

Many courses, one perfect fit!

UK universities and colleges offer thousands of excellent study programs, leading to qualifications that are respected and acknowledged by employers, academic and research institutions on a global level. You'll notice that, due to the international acclaim of the British Education, your UK Degree or Qualification is a passport that will open doors anywhere in the world for either a job or for further studies.

At the undergraduate level, the main qualifications offered are:

  • Bachelor’s or Undergraduate Degree: This is the most common type of study program, and we can also say it's the most traditional one. The program is designed to help you gain a thorough understanding of a subject or two subjects (if you are doing a joint degree).

    Studied full-time, it usually takes three years to complete (four in some cases, such as some of the Engineering programmes and even more years for special programmes such as Architecture and Medicine or Nursing).

There are different titles of Bachelor programs, based on the content of each one: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), Bachelor of Education (BEd) and Bachelor of Engineering (BEng). Degrees are classified as either Ordinary or Honours – this can vary between universities and colleges. Generally, an 'ordinary' degree may be awarded if a student has completed a full degree course but hasn't obtained the total required passes to merit a third-class honours degree. In Scotland, as an exception, an 'ordinary' degree is usually a three-year full-time course, whereas an 'honours' degree is often a four-year full-time course.


  • Foundation degree: Foundation degree is a vocational higher education course which may take one or two years to complete and which can be a stand-alone certification or a way to gain access to a Bachelor Degree for which you were not initially eligible with your previous educational background. For example, if you studied on a Humanities track in high school, you could access an Engineering program at an undergraduate level after doing a Foundation in Engineering. In this case, you'll be studying the subjects where you lack experience in, and which are essential for your future degrees, such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or Biology.


  • Diploma of Higher Education: Two years, full-time DipHE courses usually are equivalent to the first two years of a degree and can often be used for entry to the third year of a related degree course. They can be academically-oriented but are mainly linked to a particular job or profession, such as nursing and social work.


  • Certificate of Higher Education: Focuses on either a particular profession or field of academic study. Equivalent to the first year of a full honours degree, they are the most basic level qualifications that can be gained in higher education and show that you are capable of studying successfully at the university level. You can use a CertHE to gain confidence in studying successfully at a university level, change careers or progress your current job, or achieve a foundation degree, DipHE or full honours degree through additional study.


  • Higher National Diploma (HND): A two-year course which, if completed with high grades, can lead to the third year of a degree.


Get your Student Adviser for free or talk with us through our live chat.

Last updated on Friday, 05 March 2021 | Viewed 848 times

Our site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience.